Thursday, June 26, 2008

Frida Kahlo at SFMOMA

The above is by far one of my favorite Frida Kahlo paintings.

So I've been interning this summer at SFMOMA, and let me tell you, it has been great. To be surrounded by art 24/7 is fantastic and exactly what I hope to do for the rest of my life.
In any case, as I worked, the Frida Kahlo exhibit opened to the public. I knew this exhibit was going to be big: it contains not only an enormous selection of her paintings, but also photographs, very personal ones, of her life with her husband or family or friends. These photographs are rare and shed a light on Frida we have not seen before. It is a beautifully put together exhibit (it arrived at SFMOMA from MoMA in NYC) and definitley worth your time.

Heres the catch: you need a timed ticket. This exhibit is so big and so popular that it has drawn in the crowds like nothing I've seen before at SFMOMA (besides when Devendra Banhart played there). You buy a ticket, it says a time, and you arrive 10 minutes before (members get express entrance). You may think this is a big ol' load of baloney, but, my friend there have been lines every day stretching out of the galleries in which it's located. Dayum.

Being on staff, I walked through the exhibit on the day the museum was closed (hallelujah, Wednesdays!) and going through the empty rooms with only the paintings and me...I wish it is something you could all experience. Really amazing.

Still, it would seem most of you have to brave the Frida Fanatics. Some people seem to believe they have a special deep connection with Kahlo and have the urge to stand extremely near to the paintings or make sudden movements near priceless works of art.

Hey. I said it was unlike anything you'll have seen before.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey!

I came across your blog when searching for art internships. The SFMoMA recently posted summer internship listings and I was wondering if you had any information whatsoever about your experience with your internship, which one you did, tips for applying, etc. I would appreciate it because I'm going to apply and hoping I'll get a position!

Thanks!

India said...

Hi yeah, since you didn't leave an email or anything, I'm just going to respond briefly here, and if you want to know more, you can totally provide me with an address at which to talk more!

But yeah, SFMOMA's internship program was amazing and probably the most rewarding internship I have ever had. They are very attentive to the needs of interns and all the supervisors are amazing kind people. You learn so much, and they even have little things organized for the interns every week to learn more. You are invited to any events they might have, you are treated like museum staff...it's amazing and you will learn a lot quickly.

I have done it three years in a row and always had a positive balanced experience in the exhibitions department. The other interns all seemed really happy and interested as well; people are so nice at this museum.

Lisa said...

oh sorry, I completely forgot about leaving contact info!

My email is lisa_shieh@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for the response. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which positions to apply for because there are so many. Which department(s) did you intern for and what were your hours? And was it completely unpaid or was there a stipend?

From what you described, it sounds like a great opportunity. What specifically did you learn being in that kind of museum environment?

I think I better start writing the cover letter and essay while I'm still on winter break. haha

Vanessa said...

Hi...! I also stumbled upon your blog while searching SFMoMa summer internships.. I would really appreciate it if we could exchange emails to talk about the internship seeing that I'm trying very hard to get a place in the summer..! Thank you!! vanessanlam@gmail.com Thanks agaiinn!

Anonymous said...

Hello India! Like the others, I have found your blog to be very useful in getting the perspective from previous SFMOMA interns. If you have a moment, would you be able to answer a few questions I have about the internship process and what kind of experience you had? My email is gover74@rocketmail.com Thanks Erica