Monday, February 4, 2008

Across The Universe...literally

Today, NASA did something incredible.

To commemerate their 50th anniversary and the 40th anniversary of the song "Across The Universe" by The Beatles, NASA broadcasted the song all the way to the North Star of Polaris, literally sending it across the galaxy. Apparently, it will take the song 431 years to reach Polaris; Polaris is 2.5 quadrillion miles away. Meh. No biggy. It'll get there eventually.

I quote the article from my city paper: "NASA loaded an MP3 of the song, just under four minutes in its original version, and will transmit it digitally at 7 p.m. EST Monday [today] from its giant antenna in Madrid, Spain. But if you wanted to hear it on Polaris, you would need an antenna and a receiver to convert it back to music, the same way people receive satellite television."

Apparently Paul McCartney was quoted as saying "Give my regards to the aliens". Aaah he is so witty.

Personally, I find this to be incredible, amazing, and wonderful.
I don't know why. Perhaps it's because I feel like technology really can do wonderful things. Yes, so this isn't solving world hunger, curing AIDS, or creating world peace once and for all. But it's a kind gesture. And simple in form. While I'm sure it takes dollars and dollars of technology and planning, the idea of sending a beautiful song into space to travel among the stars is just so simply gorgeous to me. I like to imagine the song echoing throughout the galaxy, over and over, just those beautiful melodies and lyrics...

Nothings gonna change my world.

More info:
Official NASA article: Click here
SFGate article: Click here

Note: I would upload Across the Universe, but I think distributing Beatles songs is punishable by death.
Hm. I wonder if the life forms on Polaris are going to pay royalties.

End sarcasm. Begin your own nostalgic sighing.

No comments: