Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Caribou is coming to Slim's

You probably remember Dan Snaith's (who has a, get this, Ph. D in mathematics from the Imperial College London) old stage name Manitoba. The last time this name was used was 2004, when, upon being threatened under lawsuit, he changed it to the now present day Caribou. Caribou's music is often described as "eletronic" or "electronic with some other percussion intrsuments thrown in." I, however, find it much more intricate and eccentric than that.
Caribou released a new album just this past August entitled "Andorra". I came into this album a little late, but I'm very glad I did. The first listen I gave it, I was hooked. Blending equal balances of electronica and percussion with eerie melodies and catchy beats, Caribou keeps you listening in a sort of wonder.

And yes! Snaith will be performing under his Caribou stage name Saturday, October 27th at Slim's. This show is going to be a good one. Snaith performs with a live band, assuming the role of percussionist, and engages the use of video projections, images, and other, shall we say, fascinating technological methods. In a space like Slim's I can see this going very well. The show is popular, but tickets are still available, so snatch one up.
Show @ 9 (doors 8)
$13
For more info, click on the title

And to sample some Caribou (it sounds like I'm offering you some meat dish):
Caribou - Melody Day
Caribou - Irene

(both these songs are from their new album "Andorra")

No comments: